We use a biometric fingerprint cashless system for the purchase of all meals in the school canteen. This means that students are not identified as receiving free school meals and we regard this is as a very positive and inclusive development. However we do not feel that all students eligible currently receive their entitlement and would therefore like to update our records.
Do you qualify for free school meals?
If you receive the following you do not have to pay for your children’s school lunches:
- Income Support (IS)*
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)*
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance (IR)
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit with an annual total income below the HMRC set limit
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
*Children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also eligible to receive free school lunches.
A child over the age of 16 in receipt of any of these qualifying benefits in their own right is also eligible to receive free school meals.
As well as the benefit of your child receiving a free school meal, the school receives additional funding to support your child.
If you think that your child or children may be eligible then please complete the online application form on the following web link
Should you require any assistance completing the form or further information on free school meals then please contact the school by emailing email@example.com or contacting Wrexham Support services on 01978 297413.
Free School Meals in Wales Information for Parents and Guardians – Link
Why choose school diners?
Our catering team work hard to ensure that they provide a menu that pupils will enjoy eating while delivering nutritious and balanced meals to encourage healthy eating habits for the future
- Fully trained and qualified friendly catering staff
- 3 weekly cycle menu offering a varied choice of meal options
- Great value for money
- Special dietary needs can be catered for – just ask at school
- Vegetarian choices available every day
- Packed lunches are also available from our catering team on request
- Don’t forget our complete menu range is available for children eligible for free school meals.
Commonly asked questions and answers
“How are Free School Meals paid?”
Each morning your child’s account will receive an automatic credit
The money can be used from mid-morning break onwards to spend on items up to £2.40. We ensure that all students are able to purchase a hot meal and a pudding of the day with their daily entitlement.
All students pay for school diner anonymously – we use fingerprint recognition so no money is ever exchanged at lunch time regardless of how they pay. This means that Free School Meal students cannot be distinguished from paying students, reducing any stigma that may be attached to receiving Free School Meals.
“My child has special dietary requirements”
Please speak to the school cook to discuss how we can help.
“My child does not like school dinners”
We try our best to offer a varied menu to suit a range of different tastes. We realise that not everyone will enjoy everything on the menu, but our school cooks can offer a taster to your child before they are served the meal or offer an alternative choice. The school dining room provides a fantastic experience to help develop your child’s social skills. We hold regular tasting events throughout the year at Wrexham schools with some schools also offering parents the chance to come along at lunchtime to experience school diners for themselves.