Religion Values and Ethics is a core subject and is taught up to and inclusive of Y11. RE at Ysgol Clywedog aims to encourage students to understand that Religious Education is everywhere and has some relevance wherever you look. RVE is not just about holy books. Students learn about and tackle real life issues. There aren’t many subjects that allow students to form and express their own opinions and get marks for it.
Religious Education is a subject that gets you asking why:
• Why do people believe that?
• Why do people act like that?
• Why does the media show people like that?
• Why do other people react like that?
The department consists of:
• Mrs Clare Peers – Subject Leader
• Mrs Helen Hughes – RE Teacher and Associate Assistant Headteacher
At Ysgol Clywedog we feel it very important that students gain a broad background of the six main world religions. Learning and understanding the all six world religions at KS3 helps students gain a good understanding to the topics in KS4.
We use a range of resources to deliver the curriculum such as textbooks, power point presentations, internet, artefacts, displays and an extensive video collection that enliven the lessons for the students.
In KS4 all students will follow the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity qualification.
RVE is a successful subject. The topics covered in the course are linked and relevant to today’s society.
Students will complete three units of course-work to gain this qualification:
- Unit 01 – Equality and diversity in society
- Unit 02 – Equality and diversity in the community
- Unit 03 – Equality and diversity in the workplace
This qualification aims to:
- Introduce the concepts of equality and diversity in a variety of environments including society, the community and the workplace
- Highlight how stereotyping and labelling affect individuals
- Outline the effects of prejudice and discrimination
- Allow the learner to examine rights and responsibilities
- Stress the importance of taking individual responsibility and action to help and support others
- Provide a basis for further study and / or career development