Modern Languages Department Trip: Château du Baffy: October 2023
Category : Events
Following a successful visit last October, we are planning to take a group to Normandy again during the October half-term break, travelling out on Thursday 26th October and returning on Monday, 30th October, 2023.
We shall be staying in the Château du Baffy, situated between the towns of Caen and Bayeux, not far from the D-Day landing beaches. The Château du Baffy is a traditional French château, which has been converted into purpose-built accommodation for school groups. Further details can be found at this web address: https://chateaudubaffy.education/overview-of-chateau-school-trips/at-a-glance .
Planned excursions during the trip will include the Caen Memorial Museum and the 3600 cinema at Arromanches, which will give pupils a good insight into the events of the D-Day landings, and the Bayeux Tapestry, which tells the story of the Norman invasion of England and the Battle of Hastings.
Other activities will include visits to a traditional wood-fired bakery, a goat farm and a caramel factory to find out about the production of bread, cheese and other local specialities. Pupils will also have a chance to do some shopping in a traditional French market.
The trip is open to all pupils currently in years 7, 8, 9 and 10, whether or not they are studying French. Whilst this will be an ideal opportunity for pupils to practise their language skills, the trip will also provide them with an insight into aspects of French culture and history, which will link to other subjects in the school curriculum.
The cost of the trip is £410. This covers:
- All travel costs (travel will be by coach and ferry)
- Any costs incurred by the school
- Group insurance
- Accommodation and meals (except for meals during the journeys)
- Museum admissions
The cost of the trip may be paid in instalments as follows:
- Non-returnable deposit of £110 payable with your booking request
- Six further instalments of £50 each, payable monthly from February 2023 through to July 2023, payment to be received on or before the last day in the month.
Where possible, please make payments using the Parent Pay facility. Alternatively, please make cheques payable to Ysgol Clywedog.
Terms and Conditions
- Places will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, with a reserve list operating should the trip become full.
- Pupils who withdraw from the trip will only have their money refunded if they have a medical note, or if there is another pupil willing to take their place.
- Behaviour in school will be monitored and if the group leader or head teacher feel it necessary, then pupils may be withdrawn from the trip after consultation with parents / guardians.
If you wish your child to take part in this trip, please complete the attached booking request and return it together with a deposit of £110, either by ParentPay or by cheque (made payable to Ysgol Clywedog) as soon as possible.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at school (tel. 01978 – 346800) should you require any further information.
Mrs C. V. Temple
Subject Leader, Modern Foreign Languages
Complete letter including Booking request form can be downloaded / printed by clicking the following link